VMware released vSphere 6.5 Update 1 on 27-July-2017 with great enhancements. Take a look at my article to understand What’s new with vSphere 6.5 Update 1. I have completed my vCenter upgrade to vCenter 6.5 Update 1 in my lab environment. It’s great to have my environment update with vSphere 6.5 Update 1 with a lot of new features and enhancements to vSphere and also for the VMware vSAN. After my upgrade to vCenter 6.5 Update 1, I noticed an issue with deploy and Export OVF template from vSphere Web Client and also from HTML5 based vSphere client. You need to get familiar with HTML5 based vSphere Client Since VMware already revealed their plan to stop vSphere Web client from the next major vSphere release. Take a look at my article Worried of Web Client, say Good bye to vSphere web Client!!!
When I try to deploy virtual machine from OVF and also during export virtual machine as OVF, I got the below error
“This version of vCenter Server does not support Deploy OVF Template using this version of vSphere Web Client. To Deploy OVF Template, login with version 22.214.171.124 of vSphere Web Client”.
“This version of vCenter Server does not support Export OVF Template using this version of vSphere Web Client. To Export OVF Template, login with version 126.96.36.199 of vSphere Web Client”.
In addition to the above error, I also noticed “VMware Content Library service” was not starting after my upgrade to vCenter Server appliance 6.5 Update 1. The fix discussed in this article applies to both the issue.
Fix: OVF deployment fails after upgrading to vCenter Server Appliance 6.5 U1
As per VMware KB article 2151085, this issue can happen for 2 reasons
- The file had parameters added by a user in the past.
- During a major upgrade where a migration of the properties file is performed. A major upgrade path would be 6.0.x to 6.5.x to 6.5u1. This is a known issue seen with several upgrade paths to vSphere 6.5 Update 1. Not all upgrade paths are affected, VMware is investigating affected paths this article will be updated once confirmed.
Cause for this issue is The ts-config.properties file is deployed with the noreplace option. With this option, the ts-config.properties will no longer be overwritten, instead it is saved with the extension .rpmnew.
I will explain the detailed step by step procedure to work around this issue and start to deploying OVF template in vSphere 6.5 Update 1.
- Connect to the vCenter Server Appliance 6.5 Update 1 via SSH with root credentials
- Type shell and press Enter and Navigate to directory /etc/vmware-content-library/config/ using below command1cd /etc/vmware-content-library/config/
- Create a backup of files “ts-config.properties” and “ts-config.properties.rpmnew” with the Copy command123cp ts-config.properties ts-config.properties.origcp ts-config.properties.rpmnew ts-config.properties.rpmnew.orig
4. Rename ts-config.properties.rpmnew to ts-config.properties
mv ts-config.properties.rpmnew ts-config.properties
5. Restart the VMware Content library service “vmware-content-library” using the below command.
Service-control --start vmware-content-library
For better understanding about services in vCSA 6.5, Take a look at my article to understand How to Start & Stop Services in vCenter Server Appliance 6.5.
6. Refresh or relaunch the vSphere Web client. We will be able to deploy or Export OVF template in vCenter Server appliance 6.5 Update 1 using vSphere Web Client and HTML5 based vSphere Client.
I hope this is informative for you. Thanks for Reading!!. Be social and share it social media, if you feel worth sharing it.