In vSphere 6.0, you will notice considerably new terms, when installing vCenter Server 6.0. As similar to the previous versions of vCenter Deployment, You can install vCenter Server on a host machine running Microsoft Windows Server 2008 SP2 or later or you can deploy vCenter Appliance (VCSA). With vSphere 6.0, There are 2 different Deployment Models:
- vCenter with an embedded Platform Services Controller
- vCenter with an external Platform Services Controller
One of the Considerable Change, you will notice with installation is deployment models and embedded database. Embedded database has been changed from SQL express edition to vFabric Postgres database. vFabric Postgres database embedded with the installer is suitable for the environments with up to 20 hosts and 200 virtual machines and virtual center server 6.0 continuous to support Microsoft and Oracle Database as external database. with upgrades, where SQL express was installed will be converted to vPostgres. Let’s review the System requirements for the installation:
Supported Windows Operation System for Installation:
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 SP2 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 64-bit
Supported Databases for Installation:
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 SP1
- Microsoft SQL Server 2014
- Oracle 11g R2 126.96.36.199
- Oracle 12c
vCenter Server 6.0 Components:
There are two Major Components :
- vCenter Server: It contains all of the products such as virtual center Server, vSphere Web Client,Inventory Service, vSphere Auto Deploy, vSphere ESXi Dump Collector, and vSphere Syslog Collector
- VMware Platform Services Controller: Platform Services Controller contains all of the services necessary for running the products, such as vCenter Single Sign-On, License Service and VMware Certificate Authority
vCenter 6.0 Deployment Models:
vSphere 6.0 introduces two deployment model. virtual center server with external Platform Services Controller and with an embedded Platform Services Controller.
vCenter with an embedded Platform Services Controller:
All services bundled with the Platform Services Controller are deployed on the same host machine as virtual center Server. virtual center Server with an embedded Platform Services Controller is suitable for smaller environments with eight or less product instances.
vCenter with an external Platform Services Controller:
The services bundled with the Platform Services Controller and virtual center Server are deployed on different host machines.You must deploy the VMware Platform Services Controller first on one virtual machine or host and then deploy virtual center Server on another virtual machine or host. The Platform Services Controller can be shared across many products. This configuration is suitable for larger environments with nine or more product instances.
That’s it. I hope this post helps you to understand the few of the New features and components available with virtual center server 6.0. Thanks for reading!!!. Be social and share it in media,if you feel worth sharing it.
vSphere 6.0 Related Articles:
- vSphere 6.0 -Difference between vSphere 5.0, 5.1, 5.5 and vSphere 6.0
- vSphere 6.0 What’s New – Improved and Faster vSphere Web Client
- vSphere 6.0 – What’s New in vCenter Server 6.0
- vSphere 6.0 – New Configuration Maximums
- vSphere 6.0 – What’s New in vCenter Server Appliance(vCSA) 6.0
- vSphere 6.0 New Features – What is VMware Virtual Volumes (VVols)?
- vSphere 6.0 – What’s New in VMware Fault Tolerance (FT)
- vSphere 6.0 vMotion Enhancements – vMotion Across vSwitches and vCenter Servers
- vSphere 6.0 New Features – Content Library
- vSphere 6.0 – NFS 4.1 supported with Kerberos Authentication and Multipathing